Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Being Thankful and Growing in Faith

Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name. -Psalm 100:4 (KJV)

Consider how that a thankful heart leads us to trust God no matter what.  I will not hit you with a lot of talk today about how good we have it here in America, for hopefully we all realize that.  Parents who tell their kids at the dinner table to eat all their food because there are starving people in the world who would love to have it are telling the truth.  Most of us are living like royalty compared to millions upon millions of people live in abject poverty.   

And yet I was irritated because the line I front of me wasn’t moving fast enough.  I was upset because my car wouldn’t start this morning.  Someone said something to me that sort of rubbed me the wrong way.  The biscuits my wife fixed were baked a little too long, my favorite shirt wasn’t washed when I needed it, my coffee wasn’t hot enough, and on and on we go with these inconveniences.  In the broad scheme of things those little petty annoyances are not worth getting upset about at all – ever.  A thankful heart helps us to understand that.   

Are we fully aware of the hope that Jesus Christ brings?  My prayer is that we will embrace this wonderful truth in a way we have never done before. When I was a student at Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, the President of the seminary was the late Dr. Roy Honeycutt, one of the most brilliant Bible scholars I have ever know, but also one of the most humble and gracious men I have ever known as well.  One morning in chapel he told the story of a new student who early into the semester came to him and said, “Dr, Honeycutt, I am having problems here!”  Dr. Honeycutt asked him what was wrong.  The young man said, “I am hearing and learning things I have never heard before!”  Dr. Honeycutt gently said, “Son, that is why you are here.” 

My prayer is that we will come to a level of faith we have never experienced before, because that is why we are here.  We are called to grow in faith, grace, love, and the knowledge of God's Word.  Jesus Christ is greater and more powerful than any problem we will ever face, and we can claim the victory in Him.  Be thankful, look to Christ, and make Him Lord of your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment