Monday, November 8, 2010

Seeking God’s Plan for our Lives

All a person’s ways seem pure to them, but motives are weighed by the LORD.  Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and he will establish your plans. –Proverbs 16:2, 3 

Now that daylight savings time has ended I have to engage in a small chore that may not seem like much, but somehow causes me at least a small amount of stress.  Try not to laugh, but this task I have to take care of twice a year is that of re-setting the time on my digital watch.  One would think that this would be an easy little chore; just push a few buttons, adjust to the proper time, and it’s done.  Oh, if only it were that easy.  There are four buttons on this watch, and they have to be pressed in an exact sequence in order to get the time set.  It sounds easy, but since I only have to do it twice a year I have trouble remembering each time how it’s accomplished. 

Fortunately, I have a little booklet that came with the watch when I bought it that explains how to set the time.  The print is so tiny that I just about need a magnifying glass to read it, but I do have good bi-focals which allows me to read these instructions.  The booklet explains in no uncertain terms exactly how to set the time on my watch.  I tried once to set the time without consulting the booklet and I could never get it right.  In order to do this correctly, I must consult the instructions.

The Word of God is our instructions for life.  When we seek to make plans, accomplish our goals, or move forward with whatever we believe God would have us to do, we must consult God’s Word in order to make our plans succeed.  To go off and try to accomplish our plans in our wisdom and our strength will lead us away from where the Lord would have us to be.  Be careful not to make that mistake, but instead remain in God’s Word, stay faithful to Him, pray without ceasing (I Thessalonians 5:17), and move forward in faith.  God will bless us when we seek to establish our plans in Him. 

What are your plans for today?  What about next month, next year, or even ten years from now?  Seek God’s will, be faithful, and make sure that your plans are rooted in the Word of God.  This is a sure plan for walking in the blessings of the Lord. 

Okay, let me find those instructions and get the time on this watch set.  Good thing I have a plan. 

God bless you.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment