Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Are you Superstitious?

Come, descendants of Jacob, let us walk in the light of the LORD. You, LORD, have abandoned your people, the descendants of Jacob.  They are full of superstitions from the East; they practice divination like the Philistines and embrace pagan customs.  Isaiah 2:5, 6 

I was telling the congregation Sunday morning at church that I am not at all superstitious.  I do not get nervous if a black cat crosses my path, I have never carried a rabbit’s foot or a four-leaf clover in my pocket, I do not avoid stepping on a crack, and I treat Friday the thirteenth like any other day.  To do otherwise is to surrender to a lot of ridiculous superstitions that have absolutely no impact on our lives.  The Word of God challenges us to walk in the light of the Lord, for in Him is freedom from that which seeks to rob us of the joy that can be ours in Jesus Christ.  Superstitious nonsense will indeed take away from the peace and happiness that is meant to be experienced through a relationship with Christ.  

Speaking of superstitions let me tell you about one I had never heard of until we moved to southwest Virginia.  Some years ago after having settled in I was visiting in the home of someone who had visited our church.  I had come into the house through the front door, but I had sat down right near a side door that lead onto the carport near where I had parked.  So, when I went to leave, I started for that side door.  The lady of the house, however, quickly took me by the arm, and began to steer me toward the front door.  She laughed and said, “Brother, Dan; we wouldn’t want you to have any bad luck now would we?” I had no idea what she was talking about, but I smiled and allowed myself to be directed out the front door.  It wasn’t until later that it was explained to me that it’s bad luck to exit through a different door than the one through which you came into the house.  Oh my; what foolishness. 

When we walk with Jesus Christ we can move forward in faith, not fear.  We need not become tangled up nor distracted in the false beliefs that accompany superstitions.  Those beliefs are pure fantasy, but faith in Jesus Christ is real.  As faith in Christ is real, it has the power to help us through the problems, crises, and difficulties we face as a part of life.  Look to the Lord, hold fast to Him, stay in the Word of God, and experience the fullness of joy that can be ours in Jesus Christ. 

Trust in Christ today and be rid of those false ideas that only lead us astray.  In Jesus Christ there is victory, life, joy, and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment