Thursday, November 11, 2010

Filled to Overflowing with God’s Blessings

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.  Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.  -Psalm 23:5, 6 (KJV) 

Note to self: When leaving a restaurant, do not set the box of leftovers on top of the car while getting out keys, unlocking the car, and getting into car.  The reason for this is that said box of tasty leftovers may be forgotten until I am several miles down the road, by which time the box will have fallen off and the leftovers gone. 

I relay this note to self because that is what happened to my son and his girlfriend the other night.  She had taken him out for his birthday and they were unable to finish their meal.  My son told me that he was sitting at the traffic light getting ready to drive onto the interstate on-ramp when he realized that the leftovers had been left sitting on top of the car.  I know there is a saying about there being no use crying over spilled milk, but is there one about no use crying over leftovers forgotten on top of the car?  I didn’t think so.

Life is like that sometimes; we have a moment of forgetfulness and our plans become thwarted.  What I love about the twenty-third Psalm is that we are reminded that even when our plans are not going the way we would like for them to we have the assurance that the Lord is with us.  God is not only with us, but He provides for us right in the presence of whatever it is we fear.  David of the Old Testament said that he could look across the battlefield and see the enemy preparing for the attack.  Even in such stressful times David said that the Lord prepared a table and covered it with blessings.  The blessings David spoke of were in such abundance that when he held out his cup it was filled to overflowing.    

I have heard all of my life about people who see life as like a cup that is half empty or half full.  The pessimist takes the former view and the optimist the latter.  Consider that according to God’s Word, we as followers of Jesus Christ take neither point of view.  Instead, we hold out our cup and let God fill it to overflowing.  Enough of this “half full”  talk; the Lord is perfectly willing to fill us to overflowing with the abundance of spiritual blessings.  

Have you felt discouragement and frustration lately over disappointment and problems?  Most people will say yes to that question, because we all face problems of all kinds.  Take heart, for the Lord is with us.  He will see you through whatever you are facing.  And God will bring wonderful blessings in the process. 

Wait on the Lord and keep trusting in Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment