Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Not Just a Face in the Crowd

O LORD, You have searched me and known me.  You know my sitting down and my rising up; you understand my thought afar off.  You comprehend my path and my lying down, and are acquainted with all my ways.  -Psalm 139:1-3 (NKJV) 

Back in the late 1980’s when I was a student at the University of Cincinnati, a Hollywood film crew showed up on campus to film scenes from a movie entitled, “Fresh Horses,”  starring Molly Ringwald and Andrew McCarthy.  Anyone under the age of thirty-five probably never heard of these people, but they were fairly popular at the time.  Several scenes from the movie were filmed over a period of a few weeks, and just about anyone who was interested could become an extra for numerous scenes involving large crowds.  During the filming I spoke with a few students who had volunteered to be extras for the film and their experiences were anything but positive.  They said that during one shoot (you’ll have to excuse my Hollywood lingo – I don’t know how else to say it) they spent fifteen hours or so waiting to appear in a scene that would only last a few seconds and may not even appear in the movie.  They would only be faces in an extremely large crowd.  They said that overall it was simply wasn’t worth the trouble. 

What a blessing to know that in Jesus Christ we are not just faces in the crowd with little to no significance.  In God’s eyes we are each one of us vitally and uniquely important.  The Lord knows each of us on an individual basis, and all that we go through and all we will do is known by God.  Never give into the feeling that you are of no importance to God, for nothing could be further from the truth.  As the Psalmist said, the Lord knows us; He knows when we lie down, get up, and go throughout our days.  The Lord is also perfectly willing to guide our way if we will look to Him and seek Him in sincere faith. 

Whatever trials and trouble you are going through today know that you are known, loved, and cared for by God.  The troubled soul finds comfort in knowing that Jesus Christ there is hope of a brighter day and an abundance of spiritual blessings. 

Do not lose heart, but look to Jesus.  He knows us, cares for us, and will never forsake us.

No comments:

Post a Comment