Friday, December 24, 2010

A Special Christmas Gift

And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn.  -Luke 2:7 (KJV) 

Andrea and I returned yesterday from a four day visit with our family in Ohio, and this was a special time of visiting and catching up with our loved ones.  We had two Christmas gatherings, one with Andrea’s side of the family and another with mine.  Both were filled with great food, blessed fellowship, and healthy laughter.  At my parent’s home we had gathered together and as is our custom a time of gift giving was observed.  After we were finished, a nephew of mine who had recently lost his job approached me and showed me the new gloves he had been given as a Christmas gift.  They were made soft leather and lined with fur, guaranteed to keep his hands warm on cold days.   

“Uncle Danny,” he said to me, “I wasn’t able to get you anything this year for Christmas, and I feel bad about that.”  I assured him that no gift was necessary as spending time with family was more than enough.  “I understand that,” he said, “but I still want to give you a gift.” He then handed me the expensive gloves and said, “Take these gloves as my gift to you.” I stammered around a moment and told him that I couldn’t possibly take his new gloves.  “No, I insist,” He said, “It would mean a lot to me if you accepted these as a gift from me.” To refuse such a sacrificial gift would have been the worst sort of offense.  I humbly accepted.  You know something?  That may be the nicest Christmas gift I have ever received, not because the gloves are of such quality, but because of the spirit in which they were given.  

My friends, God gave to us the greatest gift of all in the coming of Jesus Christ into the world.  Such a thoughtful, caring, and sacrificial gift should not be refused.  Instead, such a wonderful gift merits humble acceptance in the spirit in which it was given.  Our Savior, Jesus Christ, gave Himself to us.  This precious gift of salvation is the greatest of all gifts. 

Do not turn Him away.  Trust the Lord Jesus and receive this blessed gift that has been given. 

Rejoice, for Christ has come into the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment