Saturday, January 29, 2011

The Power of God that Lifts us up

The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way.  Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the LORD upholdeth him with his hand.  –Psalm 34:23, 24 (KJV)

The other day I had walked to the church from the parsonage and just as I stepped from the driveway onto the parking lot I failed to see a small patch of ice.  My feet hit the ice and immediately went right out from under me.  There was no time react and believe me when I say that I came down hard on the pavement.  I laid there for a moment and my first thought was to look around to see if anyone had seen me go down.  No one was in sight so I then began wondering if I had broken anything.  I was concerned about my left wrist as it had taken the brunt of the fall, but it appeared to be all right.  I could still move it back and forth and that was a good sign.  It’s a wonder I hadn’t done myself a serious injury. 

What truly amazed me about that fall on the ice was how quickly and without warning it happened.  One moment I was strolling along thinking about all I had to do that morning, and the next moment I was on my back.  Pavement is a poor cushion for a fall.  25 degree weather doesn’t help either.  The fall came quickly and was indeed painful, but thank the Lord I was able to get right back up.  The trials of life and the difficulties we face can come about in a similar manner.  One moment we are going forward and everything seems to be fine, and then all of a sudden we are spiritually knocked off our feet.  The spiritual battles we face can come at us when we least expect them, and they can deliver a painful blow.  However, the power of God in Christ Jesus is always more powerful than any trial we will ever face, and God will help us back on our feet. 

As the Scripture says, we may fall down sometimes, but we are not utterly cast down, for the Lord holds us with His hand.  You may be facing a spiritual battle right now that has left you feeling exhausted.  Take heart and trust in the Lord, for you are in no way defeated.  Christ will lift you up and give you strength to move forward and overcome. 

Jesus has already won the victory, and we too share in the victory when we trust in Him.  He will lift us up and help us onward.

No comments:

Post a Comment