Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Blessings of Good Memories

But now that Timothy has come to us from you, and brought us good news of your faith and love, and that you always have good remembrance of us, greatly desiring to see us, as we also to see you—therefore, brethren, in all our affliction and distress we were comforted concerning you by your faith.   –I Thessalonians 3:6, 7 (NKJV)

I had been noticing lately that it was getting harder and harder to open and close my dresser drawers.  I seemed to have way too many shirts, jeans, and socks.  So the other night I set about to go through those items and get rid of the ones I don’t need.  I quickly found out the problem wasn’t too many clothing items, although I did discard a number of t-shirts and socks, but what was taking up space was a lot of other odds and ends.  Mostly, it was my collection of birthday cards, thank you notes, and anniversary cards that were causing the trouble.  Would it surprise you to find out that I almost never throw away a card given to me?  I have cards going back nearly 25 years.  All those cards were in neat stacks in the bottom of my dresser drawers. 

I began sorting through those cards and as I did was flooded with wonderful thoughts and memories of those who gave them to me.  I found numerous handmade birthday and Father’s Day cards the boys had given me when they were small children.  I found other cards that had been given to me by church members who have since gone to be with the Lord.  And I have anniversary cards that Andrea has given me that date back over two decades ago.  Each one holds a special and unique memory of a time when someone thought enough of me to let me know that I was appreciated.  That, my friends, is worth its weight in gold.

Paul the Apostle said that when Timothy brought a report of how the believers in Thessalonica were getting along that he was filled with pleasant thoughts and memories of them.  He considered their faith, love, and their remembrances of Him.  Like those cards giving me warm and comforting thoughts, so also was Paul filled with fond memories of his friends.  Let us never underestimate the power of friendships we develop within the Body of Christ.  Those are people who will stand with us during our darkest hours.  We in turn can stand with them and support them when they are going through the trials of life. 

Stop and thank the Lord for brothers and sisters in Christ, and pray that God will empower us to always love and support one another.   

“Precious memories, how they linger; how they ever flood my soul…”  

No comments:

Post a Comment