Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Hope is Found in the Lord

Truly my soul waiteth upon God: from him cometh my salvation.  He only is my rock and my salvation; he is my defence; I shall not be greatly moved.  –Psalm 62:1, 2 (KJV) 

The recurring theme of Psalm 62 is that God is our salvation, our rock, and in Him we find strength and stability.  In a world of uncertainty, God can be our most stabilizing force.  Through faith in the Lord we find peace even in the most troubling times of life.  We need not look far to find people who are struggling their way through life grasping at anything they believe might bring peace and happiness.  False religions abound, but so also does hopelessness, anger, and apathy.  Some go as far as to adopt the mistaken idea that by casting off any and all faith in God that they will find the peace they desire.  In the end the void in their hearts is made larger, and their despair becomes greater.  Only through faith in Jesus Christ can true peace, joy, and fulfillment be found. 

David of the Old Testament understood that his only hope rested in the Living God.  He had openly rejected the idols of the world because they were (and are) nothing more than wood and stone.  David knew that when he sought the Lord that he would find strength and spiritual power to carry him forward.  This divine hope can still work in our hearts today.  Faith in Jesus Christ empowers us to rise up and go forward when we might otherwise have given up.  Despair and sorrow can take hold in peoples’ lives, but Christ has the power to break through the most hopeless condition. 

The power of this message merits frequent examination and consideration.   

“He only is my rock and my salvation” (v 2).
“He only is my rock and my salvation” (v 6). 
“In God is my salvation” (v 7). 
“God is a refuge for us” (v 8). 

Are you thinking negative and hopeless thoughts?  Have you been wondering how your problems will all be worked out?  Do not despair and do not give up.  God is our rock, our hope, and our salvation. 

Trust the Lord, for He is our hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment