Thursday, January 13, 2011

Making Time to Daily Seek the Lord

I will extol thee, my God, O king; and I will bless thy name for ever and ever.  Every day will I bless thee; and I will praise thy name for ever and ever. –Psalm 145:1, 2 (KJV) 

Consider for a moment what sort of routines you follow every day.  Most of us observe at least some daily habits involving work, hygiene, eating, and pursuing various interests.  We have these ways of going about our day which begins with some sort of habit.  For me, my day starts with heading for the kitchen and pouring that first cup of coffee.  A few cups later I can then begin to think and speak in complete sentences.  Not everyone can be as perky early the morning as my wife Andrea.  She can open her eyes after a good night’s sleep and be ready for an in-depth conversation.  I need a little more time than that in the morning.  Let me have my coffee and then we’ll talk. 

The point is that we all typically follow habits and routines that guide the way we go about our daily lives.  Arguably, some habits are better done away with, while others can be expanded upon.  One practice that all followers of Christ do well to build into our lives is that of daily prayer and Bible reading.  Failure to make this a part of our daily schedules is detrimental to our spiritual health.  Making time alone with God every day can empower us to walk forward in the faith which the Lord intends for us to have.   

King David of the Old Testament said that every day he would go to God in praise, adoration, and supplication.  He had resolved that he would make sure that this vital part of his daily routine was practiced each day without fail.  When we take such an attitude we will be blessed with the power of God in our lives as we face the challenges each new day brings. 

Perhaps you have to admit that you have not been spending the time in prayer and Bible reading that you should.  We serve a kind, loving, and gracious God who is willing to forgive and provide us with another chance.  Resolve today to start praying more faithfully and spending more time each day in God’s Word.  You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. 

Spiritual strength and blessings in abundance are waiting.  Look to the Lord today and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment