Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Heeding Wisdom’s Call

Does not wisdom cry out, And understanding lift up her voice?  She takes her stand on the top of the high hill, beside the way, where the paths meet.  –Proverbs 8:1, 2 (NKJV) 

One afternoon last week Andrea and I were at the local mall where I was trying to find a jeweler to take some links off a watch she had given me for Christmas.  Apparently, today’s watch manufacturers are laboring under the delusion that all men have arms and wrists the size of tree trunks.  They have forgotten about guys like me who don’t have wrists like Hulk Hogan.  As we were leaving the mall I heard someone calling my name.  I turned around and saw a man who we had not seen in a while.  We stopped and had a visit before going home. 

As I ponder this gentleman who called me by name, I am reminded of what the Scripture says about wisdom.  Proverbs eight says that wisdom calls out to us and invites us to heed her counsel.  The words used in these verses imply a strong imploring cry.  The cry of wisdom is to leave the path of foolishness and ungodliness and take into our hearts the wisdom found in God’s Word.  God’s wisdom will lead us down a path of righteousness and blessing, but the world’s way is to reject this offer.  To turn away from the wisdom God offers is to walk down a path that leads to heartache, anguish, and eventually death.  Countless people have rejected wisdom’s cry and have plunged forward toward their own destruction.  The call of God is for us to heed the voice of wisdom and walk the path that leads to life.

Let us not grow complacent and begin to think that we have so gained wisdom that we can let our guards down.  Followers of Jesus Christ are to be daily growing in the grace, knowledge, and the wisdom of God.  Gaining godly wisdom is a lifetime journey of learning God’s ways and growing in His Word.  I may live to be 100, and yet the challenge will still lie before me to continue growing in wisdom.  The challenge is to be heeded daily.  Grow and continue growing in wisdom and the grace of God. 

Even a temporary detour from the path of wisdom can have devastating consequences.  The scope of this writing does not allow me to share all the examples I have seen of people who abandoned wisdom and in the end brought misery upon themselves.  Heed the blessed call of wisdom and continue to walk in God’s wonderful truth. 

Following Jesus in integrity leads to life and the abundance of God’s blessings.  Do you hear wisdom’s cry?  Take heed and follow God’s ways. 

No comments:

Post a Comment