Thursday, June 24, 2010

Thank God for the Blessings of Family

He who brings trouble on his family will inherit only wind, and the fool will be servant to the wise.  –Proverbs 11:29 

I watched a program on TV a few years ago that dealt with family problems.  The emphasis was on one family that was extremely dysfunctional.  One problem centered on the use of the kitchen.  After a certain time each night, the kitchen was effectively closed.  That meant that no one was allowed to cook anything, fix a sandwich, or even have a snack once that cut-off time had expired.  When one of the teenagers of the home would then get hungry and defy the rule, a fight would take place with the parents – a physical brawl.  All this dysfunctional behavior was caught on tape and reviewed by professional counselors who then tried to help the family with conflict management.

I don’t know how all that turned out for that family, but the strict rules regarding kitchen use got my attention.  I realize that such a rule wouldn’t work in our home.  Frankly, I feel I would miss out on some blessings if I did institute such strict rules regarding kitchen use.  Okay; I concede that if the kids make a mess in the kitchen they should have to clean it up, and if they are eating unhealthy foods all hours of the night then that would have to be addressed.  What I was thinking about was all the nice talks and quiet moments that have taken place between me and our sons in the kitchen.  And I confess it’s sometimes late at night perhaps at a time when the kitchen could have been “closed.” 

Raising teenage sons is an adventure in food service; they are perpetually hungry.  Honestly, we have never gotten too bent out of shape if the boys gather in the kitchen, after normal mealtime hours, and start cooking something.  In fact, I have been known to join in and sample the food they prepared.  I have watched with much amusement as the boys have baked cakes, made brownies, fried up some bacon and sausage with pancakes, prepared Asian noodles, or simply popped popcorn late into the evening.  Yes, I could have pitched a fit and railed at them with all sorts of threats about groundings and “You slobs had better clean up this mess or I’m gonna knock you into next week” kind of talk.  Instead, I have many times seized these moments to get to know my teenage sons better.  As pots and pans are rattling, goodies are baking in the oven, and recipes are being discussed, an air of openness and camaraderie permeates our little kitchen. 
      “Hey Dad; you’ll never believe what happened today!” 
      “Tell me about it,” I laugh. 
      “I was in football practice and my friend John says to me…”  An insight is then shared that might not have happened any other time. 

Did they always clean up the kitchen the way I would have liked it done?  Not always.  Did these late evening cooking excursions create a problem worth getting upset about?  Usually not.    

Look for any avenue possible to connect with your kids, whatever their age.  Childhood and teenage years are for a season.  Family is for life. 

Thank the Lord today for the blessings of family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment