Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Learning and Gaining Godly Wisdom

Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.  –Psalms 90:12
  

I woke up yesterday morning contemplating how that 49 years ago that very day my dear mother gave birth to me.  As I began my day I had that image in my mind; my mother and father holding me and seeing me for the first time.  What a humbling thought.  I was born into a home where I was loved, cared for, nurtured, and wanted.  Not everyone has that blessing to be sure.  I don’t know the exact time I was born, but I recall my mom telling me that I came into the world in the wee hours of the morning.  She said that the doctor who delivered me joked good-naturedly about how that so many of his patients seem to want to be born in the middle of the night.  The blessings of my life began that very day when God saw fit to allow me to be born into such a loving and caring home.  I do not take that for granted and I thank the Lord often for His grace and mercy shown to me.

Throughout the day as I received numerous well-wishes from friends and family, I stopped and thanked the Lord that He has seen fit to give me 49 years here in the world.  My sincerest prayer is that I will use my days wisely in service to Him.  I can honestly say that I have found my place in the world, but that was not done through my power; that discovery for me came about through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.  Without the Lord I would surely be drifting my way through life as opposed to having some godly direction. 

When we think about it, we realize that our time here in the world is short.  The Scripture teaches that we are to make the best use of our time here as possible.  The Psalmist asked the Lord to help him to number his days that he might gain a heart of wisdom.  What a noble and awesome pursuit; praying that God will give us insight into the brevity of life that we would gain godly wisdom while here. 

Our best pursuits in life will center on letting others see Christ in us.  From this witness we can lead others to the reality that the Lord has a plan for us, and that plan is actualized through faith in the Lord.  Whether we are here for another day or another 50 years, our earnest prayer can be that we will gain this wisdom espoused in Scripture.    

Through faith in Jesus Christ we make the best use of our days.  Christ is glorified and we gain the blessing of a life well lived.

No comments:

Post a Comment