Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Keeping Anger Under Control

A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control.  –Proverbs 29:11 
 
I have come to a definite conclusion: I could not cook a meal with Chef Ramsey watching me.  In case you don’t know who he is, Chef Gordon Ramsey is the host of a popular TV program called, “Hell’s Kitchen.” The premise of the show involves a group of chefs who have to compete against one another in cooking various dishes with Chef Ramsey screaming profanities at them the entire time.  I have tried to watch this program a time or two, partly because I like to cook, and partly out of morbid curiosity.  However, each time I have to turn it off because I can’t bear to watch the contestants, some of them seemingly nice folks, being berated, humiliated, insulted, and cursed.  Chef Ramsey obviously has no problem with bringing all his rage to the surface and letting it explode.  It’s a wonder someone hasn’t hurled a skillet at him. 

Now, about my own cooking skills; they are perhaps meager, but I try.  Over the years I have dabbled in cooking with some of the basics: pancakes, waffles, bacon, eggs, and of course I like to cook on the grill.  However, in the last couple of years I have expanded my culinary interests to include casseroles, chili, some Mexican dishes, and lately I am trying my hand at Chinese food.  My family observes all of this with patient interest as I rattle pots and pans and fling ingredients about the kitchen.  Usually they eat what I prepare and even show amazement that ol’ Dad can prepare a meal that passes for edible.  Regardless, when I put on my apron and begin cooking I am enjoying myself, those around me are blessed, and that’s always positive. 

I am learning a lot about cooking, but I am no Chef Ramsey.  And you know something?  I don’t ever want to be.  Here is a man who presents a persona of constant venting of all his anger.  The Word of God teaches that this is most unbecoming a follower of Christ.  Jesus taught that we are to reach out to those around us with love, patience, compassion, and understanding.  We also would apply these powerful Old Testament principles of self-control, personal discipline, and spirituality.  The wise person takes to heart the teaching of God’s Word which calls us to practice temperance and wisdom at all times. 

Been having trouble with your temper?  Try spending time each day in prayer and in God’s Word.  The result will be wisdom, self-control, and personal growth.  These blessed qualities facilitate the light of Jesus Christ shining forth from our lives. 

The troubled soul grows through daily time with God.  Why not start today?  Blessings and personal benefits are waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment