Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Fairness Principle

1Truly God is good to Israel, even to such as are of a clean heart.  2But as for me, my feet were almost gone; my steps had well nigh slipped. 3For I was envious at the foolish, when I saw the prosperity of the wicked… 16When I thought to know this, it was too painful for me; 17Until I went into the sanctuary of God; then understood I their end.  -Psalm 73:1-3, 16, 17 (KJV) 

I have an axiom I have held to for a good many years; life isn’t fair, so don’t expect it to be (sounds harsh, I know). This fairness principle doesn’t just apply to the areas of health and finances.  We wonder sometimes why a death row murderer stays perfectly fit for decades while an upstanding member of the community who has lived a godly life is struck down with cancer.  Again I remind us; life isn’t fair, so don’t expect it to be. 

If you are reading this you hopefully know I devote a good amount of time and energy to writing.  Do not let anyone lead you to believe a writer does this effortlessly.  No, this requires a tremendous amount of work and discipline.  I pray my number of readers will grow, yet in the meantime I am pleased to know my readers seem to be blessed and keep coming back for more.  From the bottom of my heart I thank you. 

Now, what does the fairness principle have to do with all of this?  I have wondered what it would be like to possess the writing skills of Ernest Hemmingway or F. Scott Fitzgerald.  What would potential publishers think if they began to peruse a manuscript I had sent and it sounded something like one of those literary masters?  Such writing skill just might get me published by the big league publishing houses.  However, the two men I mentioned, Hemmingway and Fitzgerald, battled inner demons which stemmed from depression and alcohol abuse.  Fitzgerald was quoted as saying, "First you take a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes you."  Yet, both of these men are known the world over for their literary genius.  And here I labor; stone cold sober, pouring my heart out for my faithful readers.   

The Lord keeps reminding me, as He did the psalmist, that life isn’t fair.  However, this should never deter us from being faithful to Christ.  We are called to be faithful and leave the results with God.  You may believe you are working and laboring in utter obscurity, yet nothing could further from the truth.  When you feel discouraged, do as the psalmist; go into the house of the Lord and seek God in prayer.  Look to the Lord and He will give you a proper life perspective on all you are doing. 

Those who reject the Lord are walking on slippery ground – even though they appear to be solid and steady.  In Jesus Christ we are standing on the solid rock.  Keep standing on Him and take Him at His Word, each and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment