Sunday, May 29, 2011

Calm in the Midst of Life’s Storms

17And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.  18And my people shall dwell in a peaceable habitation, and in sure dwellings, and in quiet resting places; 19When it shall hail, coming down on the forest; and the city shall be low in a low place.  -Isaiah 32:17-19 (KJV) 

Within the last month we have had more hail and violent storms than at any other time I can recall.  Someone commented to me how the thunder even sounds different these days and more ominous.  I agree with this statement.  I am grateful for growing up around my dad who never became upset when a storm arose.  In fact, dad was always calm during a storm and I cannot recall ever seeing him appear to be worried no matter how bad the weather looked.  On one occasion when I was a boy growing up in Ohio the sky grew dark and tornado warnings were everywhere.  The alarm came right after supper and we all left the table and headed for the basement.   

My mother, grandmother, brother, and me all reached the safety of the basement, yet we couldn’t find dad.  My mom called to him and told him to quickly come to the basement.  “I’ll be down in a minute,” dad called from upstairs.  We could hear the frantic sound of dishes rattling in the kitchen as dad lingered upstairs.  “Tom, get down here,”  my mother called again.  “There is a storm coming!”  Finally dad hurried down the stairs and joined us and we all saw what had delayed him.  Our dessert that night was strawberry shortcake, and dad had quickly made his dessert; a bowl of angel food cake topped with strawberries and whipped cream.  “I figured as long as I had to wait out the storm I may as well enjoy my dessert.” Dad said as he happily began eating. 

I watched in wonder as my father seated himself and enjoyed his dessert as the storm outside howled around us.  Looking back I realize this is the way I want to confront the problems, trials, and crises of life.  I desire to be calm, peaceful, have faith in God, and embrace the joy of having Jesus Christ in my life, even as the storms howl around me. 

I have no idea what sort of storms you are facing right now.  However, recall how the Lord is able to prepare for us a table in the presence of our enemies (Psalm 23:5).  Even as our problems and trials rage around us we can have the peace of Jesus Christ in our hearts.  Claim this peace today, for the Lord is with us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment