Thursday, May 26, 2011

Breakfast With Mark Lowry

1Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!  2It is like the precious ointment upon the head, that ran down upon the beard, even Aaron's beard: that went down to the skirts of his garments; 3As the dew of Hermon, and as the dew that descended upon the mountains of Zion: for there the LORD commanded the blessing, even life for evermore.  -Psalm 133:1-3 (KJV) 

This morning I had the unique experience of having breakfast with internationally known singer, songwriter, and comedian Mark Lowry.  Mark was the guest speaker at the annual Community Prayer Breakfast held here in Bristol, Virginia.  This is a coming together of Christians from all over the community for the purpose of prayer, fellowship, and worship.  We had a blessed time and everyone in attendance, several hundred, by my estimation, was encouraged and strengthened on our faith.  The event began with breakfast being served at 6:30 AM, followed by the program which began at 7:45.  My, that’s early, I know, yet all those people turned out for this wonderful event. 

I arrived at around 6:15, and since I was on the program to pray the benediction, I had a seat reserved at the table designated “Mark Lowry and Friends.”  Many people had arrived by then, yet no one else was at my table.  I obtained a cup of coffee and sat down to wait for others to arrive.  A few moments later someone patted me on the shoulder and said, “Are you my only friend today?”  I looked up and it was Mark Lowry.  He sat down and for about ten minutes I had him all to myself.  We talked as if we were old friends and I can honestly say that he is every bit as genuine and down to earth as he comes across on television.   



I could not help but think how this man is known the world over as a gospel singer.  His song, “Mary Did you Know,” has been sung in churches and Christian programs all over the world.  The song was even sung by my son’s choir when he was in high school.  Mark Lowry has sung with the internationally known Christian singer Bill Gaither for many years.  And here we were chatting like old friends. 

This event further reminded me of when brothers and sisters in Christ come together we are one in the Lord.  Jesus reminded us how the greatest among us is to be a servant (Matthew 23:11, 12).  Mark Lowry certainly demonstrated the servants’ heart and attitude.  I saw him not as someone famous, which indeed he is, but rather as a brother in Christ who was willing to fellowship with me and the others around him. 

May we ever strive toward Christian unity and love.  Let’s always be looking for ways to work together for the purpose of sharing the gospel and encouraging one another in the faith.  When we do so the church is strengthened and Christ is glorified.

No comments:

Post a Comment