Sunday, May 8, 2011

Being Thankful for the Godly Women in our Lives

Strength and honour are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come.  She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness.  She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness.  Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her.  -Proverbs 31:25-28 (KJV) 

Today is Mother’s Day, and to all the women reading this I wish you a blessed and happy day.  You deserve a day in which you have time to yourself to relax and let others serve you for a while.  If anyone deserves a special day all to herself it’s today's Mom. A cartoon showed a psychologist talking to his patient: "Let's see," he said, "You spend 50 percent of your energy on your job, 50 percent on your husband and 50 percent on your children. I think I see your problem."  Thank you, ladies.  We would not get much done without you. 

As I reflect on the women who have positively influenced me over the years I realize how blessed I have been to have had these strong women in my life.  My grandmother, mother, sister, and my wife have all played a role in helping me to be the man I am today.  There are also many others such as teachers and Sunday school teachers who took the time to invest themselves in my upbringing.  Truly I am blessed by the godly influences which have had such a profound effect on my life.  My hope and prayer is I will continue to grow in the lessons they have taught me. 

In the book of Proverbs Solomon pondered the question, “Who can find a virtuous woman?  For her price is far above rubies” (V 10).  Solomon understood the value of a godly woman and the impact she can have on those around her.  He also understood how a godly woman is a precious find.  Many a young man has found out the benefits and blessings of having a godly wife.  As the Bible says, “She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life” (V 12).  I had a conversation once with a young man who was wondering if he would ever find the right woman.  I assured him if it was God’s will and if he was patient he would indeed find the right woman to marry.  However, I also warned him to be sure to look in the right places.  He needed to find a woman who was firmly grounded and standing on the solid rock of Jesus Christ.   

The godly woman shines the light of Jesus Christ from her life.  She is a living testimony of the grace of God and how Christ’s love has positively affected her life.  Take time today to thank God for the blessed influences of mothers and women of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment