Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Where are the Righteous?

Help, LORD; for the godly man ceaseth; for the faithful fail from among the children of men.  They speak vanity every one with his neighbour: with flattering lips and with a double heart do they speak.  -Psalm 12:1, 2 (KJV) 

Last Saturday I removed my hummingbird feeders from storage, cleaned them and filled them with sugar water.  I then placed them in the same location I have for the last several years. Within a couple of hours the hummingbirds were back and my, they certainly were hungry.  I never tire of watching these amazing birds – the only birds on the planet capable of hovering in midair and flying backward.  I was thinking of how disappointed I would be if for some reason these wonderful birds failed to make their annual appearance.  In fact, I believe I would honestly experience a sense of profound grief if these marvelous creatures did not return. 

David of the Old Testament professed deep sorrow over what he saw as a diminishing number of godly and righteous people in the world.  Everywhere he looked people were no longer seeking the Lord.  Instead they were going their own reckless way and failing to heed God’s Word.  We have an idea of how David felt, for we too live in an age in which it seems people no longer have any regard for God.  As I reflect on my life I know beyond any doubt it has been through God’s strength and help I have come this far.  Andrea and I have encountered numerous difficulties, problems, and crises over the years, and yet the Lord has always been faithful and brought us through to brighter days.  Not only do we find people failing to seek the Lord, we also find those who believe, yet have grown weary and apathetic in their faith.  They are walking about in spiritual defeat rather than the spiritual victory meant to be ours in Jesus Christ. 

This has been an ongoing theme lately in my preaching, counseling, and overall ministry; do not give up, for the Lord will bring us through to victory.  The Lord knows full well the trials and challenges we face as a part of daily life.  He will not abandon us to face life on our own strength and resources.  The Lord will empower us to rise up in Jesus’ name and walk forward in faith and spiritual power – each day.  We take comfort in God’s presence and we will also be encouraged when we look and see what the Lord is doing all around us.  In the midst of all the ungodliness which so permeates our society the light of Jesus Christ is breaking through the darkness and shining brightly.  Lives are being touched and souls are being saved for Christ’s kingdom.   

Do not despair and do not be discouraged by the darkness which is all around us.  Instead look up, trust the Lord, keep the faith, and grow in your walk with Christ.  Pray for a great revival of faith.  Let it begin with each one of us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment