Sunday, April 3, 2011

Blessed are the Flexible…

Except the LORD build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the LORD keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain.  It is vain for you to rise up early, to sit up late, to eat the bread of sorrows: for so he giveth his beloved sleep.  -Psalm 127:1, 2 (KJV) 

I met a pastor a few years ago and he and I shared the responsibility of bringing the eulogies for someone who had passed away.  As we were talking about the service I commented on how I try to be easy to get along with in such circumstances and would seek to be flexible regarding who did what during the service.  My colleague laughed and said, “Yes, I have a saying for that: Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.”  I still chuckle over his wise words.  I was reminded this morning of the need to be flexible when our daily routine was disrupted by our 15 month old grandson who stayed the night with us last night.  Lately I have been writing and posting my daily blog around 6:30 AM after my morning prayer and Bible reading time.  However, our grandson had other ideas.  He decided this time of the morning was perfect for spending time with Papaw (me).  So, rather than write my blog I sat down in the floor and played with my little grandson. 

No doubt you will agree I made the right choice, for spending time with family is sacred.  I have joked how everything I was ever told about being a grandparent is true, and we love our grandson more than anything we could ever have imagined.  Life will daily present us with choices about how we will use the time we have.  We often have to be flexible with our schedules and rearrange what needs done to be sure the most important tasks are accomplished.  In this case, sitting on the floor and playing with Braden took precedence over other tasks which needed done.  I started to get nervous about it as I realized I was getting behind on my morning routine. However, it was as though the Lord tapped me on the shoulder and said, “Don’t worry about it; relax and spend time with your grandson, because right now that’s what is most important.” 

How wonderful when we are walking daily with Christ we are empowered by the Holy Spirit to keep our lives heading in the right direction.  As we walk with Christ we are building a spiritual house which will stand during the storms of life.  As the Scripture reminds us, “Unless the Lord build the house, they labor in vain that build it.” Build your life on the solid rock of Jesus Christ and you will stand during the trials of life.  Furthermore, you will be directed by the Spirit to know where your priorities lie.   

Seek the Lord, walk by faith, and learn to relax as you wait upon the Lord. 

No comments:

Post a Comment