Saturday, April 16, 2011

Ready for the Daily Battles

But they presumed to go up unto the hill top: nevertheless the ark of the covenant of the LORD, and Moses, departed not out of the camp.  Then the Amalekites came down, and the Canaanites which dwelt in that hill, and smote them, and discomfited them, even unto Hormah.  -Numbers 14:44, 45 (KJV) 

To say the world is changing is an understatement and I often believe technology is changing way too fast.  For example, about the time I begin to get used to my cell phone and its various features I find out it has become outdated.  I don’t know the current stats on how often people purchase a new cell phone, but it appears to be every few months.  Personally, I have been using the same phone for around three years.  I was having a conversation recently with a fellow pastor and we were having this discussion.  I was telling him about a friend of mine who uses his cell phone to check bank accounts, see when checks have cleared, surf the Internet, and check stock quotes.  My colleague looked at my phone and said, “Dan, no one is going to be checking stock quotes on that phone.”  

We had a good laugh over how technologically challenged I am, yet it illustrates a point; if I desire to tackle present situations, such as keeping up with the latest technology, then I need to be prepared by making the needed adjustments.  The Bible shows us in Numbers 14 how after the people rebelled against God and refused to go and take possession of the Promised Land that the Lord’s judgment was upon them.  They would have to wander in the wilderness for 40 years, until the generation who had not believed God was gone (Numbers 14:34, 35).  However, a number of them panicked and decided they would try and take the land anyway.  God warned them not to try, yet they persisted.  The Amalekites and the Canaanites then came out and as the Bible says “discomfited” them.  This is King James Bible language for getting a sound thrashing. 

Let us not think for a moment we can stand up to the challenges of life on our own strength and with whatever weak faith we can find.  As followers of Christ we are called to grow in faith, every day, so we can stand against the powers of darkness which are all around us.  If you find your faith is weak and not growing, then take steps to change this situation.  Strong and vibrant faith which moves mountains and overcomes evil happens when we pray, seek the Lord, and remain in His Word.  I am not talking about a hasty prayer muttered once or twice a week.  Rather, I am referring to daily, committed, disciplined time alone with the Lord.  The result will be strong and growing faith which brings spiritual power for daily victory. 

Christ has not called us to defeat.  Instead, we have the victory in Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment