Friday, April 8, 2011

Expecting a Blessing From God

When I was gone up into the mount to receive the tables of stone, even the tables of the covenant which the LORD made with you, then I abode in the mount forty days and forty nights, I neither did eat bread nor drink water: And the LORD delivered unto me two tables of stone written with the finger of God…  -Deuteronomy 9:9, 10 (KJV) 

Last summer I fulfilled a personal goal of returning to the Red River Gorge National Forest in Eastern Kentucky to hike and spend time alone with the Lord.  This place is special to me because my father used to take my brother and me there when we were boys.  I hadn’t been back in over 30 years, and when I returned I was able to re-connect with the wonder I had felt all those years earlier.  It was the wonder of being in the midst of a part of God’s creation which has remained untouched since the beginning of time.  Each day as I hiked deeper into the mountains I thought of the prophets of old, Moses, Elijah, and John the Baptist, who found spiritual strength through temporarily removing themselves from others in order to commune with God.  My schedule would not permit a 40 day stay, yet the three days I was there was a sacred time. 

Moses had gone up on Mount Sinai with the intention of receiving a message from the Lord.  He was not disappointed, for while there the Lord imparted to him the Ten Commandments, which became the cornerstone of the entire Old Testament Law.  In those sacred commandments we see God’s righteous requirements.  Moreover, we see our need for a Savior who would fulfill them on our behalf.  Our Savior, Jesus Christ said, “Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil” (Matthew 5:17).   

When you enter into a time of prayer and communion with God, what are your expectations?  Are you expecting to receive a word from the Lord?  Enter into this sacred time, be it for 30 minutes or three hours, with an attitude of expectation, and you will not be disappointed.  The Lord will speak to us through His Word, through the Holy Spirit, and through the conviction of our hearts.  God is able to drive from us doubt, fear, worry, and anything else which hinders the joy and spiritual power meant to be ours through Jesus Christ.  Enter each day into your sacred time with God with the full anticipation that a powerful spiritual blessing will be given.   

Think of how often we miss out on spiritual blessings because we were too busy or too distracted to spend time alone with the Lord.  Set aside time today, every day, and seek the Lord in prayer and meditation on His Holy Word.  The Lord will meet with us there.  Spiritual blessings will be freely given. 

No comments:

Post a Comment