Monday, October 4, 2010

The Wonderful Power of God’s Word

For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.  –Hebrews 4:12 

As you may know from some recent posts I do more cooking these days than even before.  I honestly enjoy cooking, but also it’s a great help to my wife as she has been recovering from her cancer surgery of last May.  She is doing well; thanks always for the continued prayers.  We realize that when we cook meals that there is always some clean-up time involved afterward.  Even before I had my personal rediscovering of the kitchen I was a fairly good hand in the after meal clean-up.  

Several years ago I was in the kitchen washing a few dishes by hand, and I was washing a particularly sharp kitchen knife.  I thought I had the dish rag around the blade as I cleaned it off, but unfortunately the dish rag slipped off and I accidentally ran my finger along the blade.  In that instant I sustained a serious cut on my finger.  It didn’t merit a trip to the ER, but it was close.  I am still amazed at the sharpness of that knife and its ability to slice deep into my skin.
 
As I recall the sharpness of that knife I consider what the Scripture says about itself: that the Word of God is living, active, and sharper than any double-edged sword.  God’s Word can cut deep into our hearts and reveal to us those areas that need improvement or removed from our lives.  God’s Word also has the power to comfort us in our time of need.  Such is the definition of living and active.  God’s Word doesn’t just lay dormant in our minds when we read it, but rather by the power of the Holy Spirit it does a great spiritual work; revealing God’s expectations, revealing the salvation we can have in Jesus Christ, and the deeper truths of faith.

Every time we open the Bible we have an opportunity to explore the riches of God’s Word.  To me, opening the Word of God every morning is like walking into a gold or diamond mine.  The deeper we go the more likely we are to strike into a blessed and wonderful treasure.  Those revelations from the Word can speak directly to our hearts and show us how to walk closer to God which results in daily spiritual victory. 

Have you taken the time to open God’s Word today and let it speak to your heart?  It isn’t too late to do so, and some wonderful blessings are waiting within.  We are blessed when we ask the Lord speak to us through His Word.  Spiritual strength, encouragement, and spiritual power are waiting.  Spend time every day in the Word. 
 
Tomorrow’s Blog: "God’s Word has a special message for you."  Don’t miss it!

No comments:

Post a Comment