Tuesday, October 5, 2010

A Special Message Just for you From God’s Word

I have not departed from your laws, for you yourself have taught me. How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth! I gain understanding from your precepts; therefore I hate every wrong path.  –Psalm 119:102-104 

I believe that people sometimes have the idea that when a preacher sits down with the Word of God that it is always for the purpose of preparing a sermon or Bible study.  We do a certain amount of that, but there is another purpose the spiritual leader must have in mind when opening the Bible and that is taking in the deeper truths of God’s Word.  When I open the Word each morning I try to do so with no other purpose other than communing with the Lord and growing in His Word.  I guess what I am saying is that sacred time each day when I am alone with God is done just for me.  Might that be considered selfish?  The answer is, certainly not.  

When we read the gospels we find that the Lord Jesus was often going off somewhere alone for the singular purpose of prayer and meditation on the Word.  Jesus was always setting an example that we can follow and we certainly see this in the time He spent alone in prayer and devotion to God.  To me, that time I spend alone with God is a sacred time.  This is when I can come to the Lord and freely give to Him all my problems, fears, worries, and concerns.  And I can also spend time listening for His voice as He directs me to the wonderful treasures in His holy Word.  I carefully guard that daily time alone with God so that nothing gets in the way.  When we seek the Lord daily for the sole purpose of spending time with Him we will not be disappointed.  In fact, we will find a special message from the Lord intended for us on an individual basis.  We will then be strengthened, empowered, and encouraged to walk forward in faith. 

Quite often we get busy and we neglect spending time with those closest to us.  You know something?  God is never too busy to take time to listen to whatever we have to say.  He will never turn us away and He is always attentive to our needs and He is concerned over whatever we are facing.

How long has it been since you spent some time alone communing with God?  Take time to talk with the Lord today.  Listen for His still small voice bringing soothing hope and comfort.  The troubled soul will find reassurance and encouragement through prayer and the Word of God.  Look to Christ and trust Him today.

No comments:

Post a Comment