Thursday, October 7, 2010

Know Jesus, Know Peace

But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.  Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.  –John 14:26, 27 

Quite often when I am out driving around town I notice the bumper stickers people have on their cars.  They range from the ridiculous to the outrageous.  I recall one I saw which read, “All men are idiots and I married their king.”  That sounds like a woman who was none too happy with her husband or men in general.  Some aren’t so cutting and are less serious, even humorous, such as the one I noticed on a beat-up clunker which said, “My other car is a Mercedes.” That particular one did in fact make me chuckle. 

One day I was stopped at a traffic light, and the car in front of me had a bumper sticker which said, “Know Jesus, know peace.  No Jesus, no peace.” Not only did that cause me to smile, but it blessed me with its pure simplicity.  The truth of that statement is far more profound than we might realize; such a phrasing is more than a subtle playing of words and nuance of language.  Indeed, that bumper sticker spoke volumes about what the Lord brings to our lives.  Jesus Christ does in fact bring peace; blessed, sacred, wonderful, life-transforming peace.  Christ brings into our lives a kind of peace that transcends anything the world might offer.  What the world offers will invariably be a temporal and synthetic peace.  

What the Lord Jesus brings lasts a lifetime.  Such peace lasts through the darkest days and worst storms life can throw at us.  Through faith in Christ we can daily have the peace, calm, and joy that a relationship with Him brings.  Whatever you are facing today, the Lord can give you His peace.  Christ provides this blessing freely and willingly to any and all who will believe on Him. 

The troubled soul finds rest and peace in the Lord.  Life is hard, but in Christ we can have peace in the midst of it.  Look to the Lord today.

No comments:

Post a Comment