Tuesday, September 14, 2010

More Evidence of the Wonder of God’s Creation

They give water to all the beasts of the field; the wild donkeys quench their thirst. The birds of the air nest by the waters; they sing among the branches. He waters the mountains from his upper chambers; the earth is satisfied by the fruit of his work.  –Psalm 104:11-13

As we move into the fall of the year I am reminded of how much I enjoy this season.  The air begins to get cooler, the leaves begin to change, and even though the days are getting shorter, the sun seems to shine brighter this time of year.  I am always sad, however, when I have to take down my hummingbird feeders and store them away until next season.  As I discussed in a recent blog, I could watch the hummingbirds for hours as they hover, fly, and put on a show unlike any other species of bird.  I imagine that many people have taken their feeders down by now, but I will leave mine up a little longer.  In fact, I filled both of them earlier today.  I figure, why not?  Give the stragglers who haven’t started south yet some extra fuel for their long flight.

I recall a few years ago about this time of year I was having a conversation with another person who, like me, loves to watch the hummingbirds.  When she found out that I had not taken down my feeders she told me I had best do so, for I might keep some of the birds from flying south.  I went home and did some reading about that and according to one expert on the subject, leaving our hummingbird feeders out longer into the fall will have no impact whatsoever on whether or not the hummingbirds fly south.  One source stated that leaving the feeder up longer will not delay migration, for they are driven by forces stronger than hunger.  In other words, let’s not flatter ourselves into thinking that we might somehow override the powerful forces inborn in these wonderful birds.  Some will stay around all winter; others will leave when they are ready.  That is the way God created them and it has nothing to do with us. 

This phenomenon is to me one more piece of evidence as to the creative power of God.  Take time this fall to look around and enjoy the beauty that is all around us.  Stop and take in the wonders of creation; the fall colors, the beautiful sunsets, and the clear fall nights.  Within the plan of creation, you and I are a vital part. 

Seek the Lord, give thanks, and move forward in the confidence that we are here for a reason and a divine purpose.  Be glad and enjoy the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment