Sunday, September 26, 2010

Joy, Peace, and Happiness can be Experienced Today

The moon marks off the seasons, and the sun knows when to go down.  You bring darkness, it becomes night, and all the beasts of the forest prowl.  –Psalm 104:19, 20

Fall is one of my favorite times of year.  The colors are amazing, the cooler temperatures are a welcome relief from the heat of July and August, and there is a freshness in the air.  Yes, I realize that winter is just around the corner, but remember that right after that comes spring, another beautiful time of year.  Don’t worry about the colder weather that’s coming, but try instead to enjoy what we have right now.  I find that this illustrates a common attitude toward life; instead of seeking to enjoy the moment, many people instead worry about what may or may not happen in the future.  That worrisome attitude can rob us of some wonderful peace which can be experienced in the here and now.

Could it be that many of us get hung up on some big event in our lives that we hope will bring us some peace and happiness?  We wait for it in the hopeful anticipation that when it comes, then we will be happy.  So, what are we waiting for?  The list could get extensive: the kids to grow up, retirement to come, that vacation in the Bahamas, that trip to Europe, the new car you’ve always wanted, the right person to come along, or some major problem to be resolved.  Waiting for some future happiness that may or may not come is a risky endeavor.  Those future plans just may come to pass, and they will most likely bring a measure of joy.  But how about trying to be happy, peaceful, and joyful right here and right now? 

Consider that God has placed before us some wonderful blessings.  What does it take to make me happy?  What sorts of pursuits bring enjoyment to my life?  My answer to those questions has become amazingly streamlined in recent years.  I enjoy sitting on my carport early in the morning and watching the hummingbirds.  I also find tremendous fulfillment in spending time with family, especially my grandson.  Walking the dog in the evening is also a wonderful time.  Sometimes on my day off, Ada (my dog) and I head for one of our local parks and spend a morning hiking and enjoying the beautiful scenery of southwest Virginia.  Call me odd, but these days I will take a day of hiking in the woods to three on the beach.

Hopefully, you see my point.  Joy, peace, happiness, and the wonder of life are right before us and waiting to be experienced.  And in many instances it’s all free.  So, stop and take a look around.  God has given us a wonderful gift; salvation in Jesus Christ.  From a relationship with Christ we find the abundant life Jesus promised.
   
So what are you waiting for?  Life is waiting; start living it today.   

No comments:

Post a Comment