Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Walking Through the Difficult Valleys

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. –Psalm 23:4 (KJV) 
  
For the past three months I have been walking alongside my wife, Andrea, as she has courageously battled esophageal cancer.  Her faith is inspiring, amazing, and absolutely solid.  Even though I have for years preached that our lives can be turned upside down in an instant, I never fully understood just how dramatic this turning upside down process can be.  Most of the time I walk forward in confident faith that everything is going to be all right; she is going to come through this ordeal, and she will soon be enjoying good health again.  There are other times, however, when I waver between blind panic and complete hysteria.  The “what ifs” of this nightmare, what may or may not happen, bang on my heart and rattle my mind with their cruel uncertainties, tempting me to doubt God’s sovereignty and healing power. 

During those moments of fear I am compelled by the power of the Holy Spirit to not panic, but to trust the Lord.  This peace that compels me is not my doing; please don’t think for a moment that it has ever originated in me.  The peace that keeps me moving forward in the midst of this terrible illness my wife is facing is the pure knowledge that the Lord is with us.  Christ is with Andrea, guiding, helping, encouraging her every day, and He is daily coming alongside me with a strong and mighty hand so that I can be encouraged, but that I might also encourage her. 

This comforting that God has promised is as real as the ground beneath our feet.  When we feel ourselves becoming weak with the tears we have shed and the anguish we have suffered, the Lord upholds us by divine spiritual power.  The picture given in the Psalm is like unto a staff being gently placed into our trembling hands.  We can lean on it for support, and we will be able to keep moving forward. 
Perhaps you too are facing some crisis which has left you terrified and wondering if it will ever end.  Do not be afraid and do not panic.  Look to the Lord and lean not on your strength, but on His.  God is perfectly willing to help and comfort us in our time of need. 

The Lord has promised to guide us through whatever difficult valley we find ourselves traversing.  That promise still remains.