Wednesday, May 19, 2010

God’s Comfort in Troubled Times

To my faithful readers: Again I apologize for missing yesterday's devotional thought.  The next couple of weeks may be minus a post or two due to Andrea's recent surgery.  Please keep checking from day to day, and may you be encouraged through God's blessed Word as we are - especially right now.  Read on...

Be merciful to me, Lord, for I am faint; O Lord, heal me, for my bones are in agony. My soul is in anguish. How long, O Lord, how long?  Turn, O Lord, and deliver me; save me because of your unfailing love.  –Psalm 6:2-4

It’s coming up on 11:00 PM and I am sitting at Andrea’s bedside as she is recovering from cancer surgery.  Earlier today the pain and discomfort she was experiencing were nearly unbearable for her and this despite the pain medication.  In between the times when the medicine was given, and she felt she could bear it no longer, she looked to God’s Word for comfort.  Andrea asked me to begin reading from the Psalms – any Psalm.  And when my eyes started to grow weary after several chapters I would hand the Bible off to her sister who would continue reading.  We read from the Psalms, Genesis, and the Gospels.  Whenever we finished a passage she would say, “Keep reading.” So, we did until her pain began to diminish.

David’s prayer was that God would deliver him from his pain, for his body and soul were in terrible anguish.  I know that this has been Andrea’s prayer throughout this ordeal.  As we have walked through this difficult valley we have continually found strength in the Lord.  Once again, God honored His Word by bringing comfort when it was needed most.

God will bring comfort, deliverance, and healing.  Come what may, we are called to trust in the Lord and look to Him no matter what.
 
Tonight, because of my wife’s suffering, I am that troubled soul.  And I know that God will bring comfort, healing, and peace.