Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Standing Firm under the Weight of Life’s Struggles

So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don't fall!  No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.  –I Corinthians 10:12, 13
 
Often when we are going through some struggle we deeply appreciate the encouragement of others.  When a brother or sister in Christ has a word of love, support, and inspiration we can gladly receive such words as a true gift from the Lord.  Like a healing rain, these soothing words of hope can accomplish a great work during troubled times.

Recently, someone shared with me that God will not place upon me more than I can bear.  I understood what this dear brother in Christ was trying to tell me and I greatly appreciated his kindness and concern for my situation.  The stress Andrea and I have been under during her battle with cancer and recent surgery has pushed us to the edge of what we could reasonably endure.  Indeed, we have had more placed upon us than we would ever have thought we could bear.  However, God is faithful all of the time, and He has given us the strength and power to stand firm under the tremendous weight of this trial. 

During the trials of life, especially one as severe as what we have been facing, I find that the old saying of, “No pain, no gain,” is true.  When do we grow the most: during the hard times or during the good times?  You know the answer; we grow the most when we are stretched, and we are stretched when we trust God in the problems and difficulties of life.  Lately, Andrea and I have had more placed on us than I would have ever thought we could bear, but then I realize that as long as the Lord is carrying the weight for us, then there is no limit to the weight that can be carried. 
 
God is stretching us, growing us, and taking us to heights of faith and depths of grace we had yet to experience.  We say, to God be the glory; thank you Lord for what you have done for us.