Friday, May 14, 2010

Using our Talents in the Service of Christ

Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction.  II Timothy 4:2 


When it comes to my calling in ministry, I am a pastor first and a writer second.  Truly, preaching and ministry are my first love.  Writing is something I do out of an overflow of my heart.  The thoughts I would like to share in my sermons, but which time simply doesn’t allow, can be shared in my writing.  To me, there is tremendous personal satisfaction in placing words on paper that might possibly encourage those that read them.  My aim in writing is to inspire my readers to a closer walk with Christ and to deeper levels of faith.  I consider writing to be an extension of ministry and I indeed take it with the utmost seriousness.

Now, just because I take my writing seriously doesn’t mean that everyone else will.  I have been turned down by publishers far more than my writings have been published or even considered.  Numerous articles and manuscripts that I have submitted were rejected outright without as much as a rejection letter.  However, this must be taken in stride and with a healthy dose of perspective – and humor.  It’s their loss right?  Right.   

The charge that Paul gave to a young pastor named Timothy was to be prepared.  Be prepared at all times, Paul told him. Furthermore, Paul instructed Timothy that when necessary, offer correction, rebuke, and words of encouragement.  Timothy’s main task was to be that of proclaiming the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ.  Everything else he did was to be an extension of that vital ministry to which he was called.  Just as Paul gave this charge to Timothy, I am confident that this applies to me as well.  My first and foremost task is to be the proclamation of the gospel.  Anything else I do, whether it is writing, teaching, singing, or some form of evangelism, must flow outward from this sacred calling.   

Paul was something of a writer himself, so surely he knew of the challenges involved with communicating his thoughts in written form.  This challenge I love so much must ever be done in the blessed name of the Lord.  For me it’s writing, but what about you?  God has gifted and empowered each of us according to our unique skills and talents.  Whatever spiritual gifts God has given, be sure to use them for the glory of God and for the spreading of the gospel.   

You most certainly have gifts the Lord can use.  Put them to work today in Jesus’ name.