Friday, March 12, 2010

Who is my Neighbor?

He answered: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind”; and, “Love your neighbor as yourself." “You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied. “Do this and you will live.” But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?” -Luke 10:27-29 


When I think about my neighbors, I have to consider how blessed I am these days to be surrounded by such nice people who dwell just a short distance from my house.  These neighbors are people who will stop and pass the time of day, offer a helping hand, and can be trusted to keep an eye on my home when I’m away.  Having neighbors who are friendly and reliable is a tremendous blessing.  

 Jesus provided us with a description of our neighbor that transcends those who live on our street and those who we may call our friends.  The term becomes a concept which is applied to anyone around us who has a need with which we are capable of assisting.  Countless people have been dealt harsh blows by the realities of life.  The challenge seems overwhelming, doesn’t it?  While we can’t help everyone, we can help some.  My thinking is that while I cannot change the world, I can positively affect my little corner of it.  When I make an effort to reach out in the name of Jesus, even with something as simple as a cup of cold water, then a positive difference is being made.  Pondering this brings me back to Jesus’ parable in Matthew 25:35, 36, which says, “For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.”  

Let us also consider that reaching out to a neighbor in need can take the form of compassion, understanding, forgiveness, and being willing to listen.  In a world full of self-centeredness, Jesus calls us to Christ-centeredness.  When we allow our thoughts and attitudes toward others to be directed from the standpoint of Christ-like compassion and mercy, then we begin to see those around us in an entirely new light.

Who is my neighbor?  He is anyone along my path of daily life who is in need.  The question is will I take the time to stop and apply the healing balm of Christ’s love? Jesus would do just that.  As His followers we are compelled to take to heart a divine directive: Go and do likewise.