Friday, March 5, 2010

Victory in the Midst of Life's Struggles

Village life in Israel ceased, ceased until I, Deborah, arose, arose a mother in Israel. When they chose new gods, war came to the city gates, and not a shield or spear was seen among forty thousand in Israel. My heart is with Israel's princes, with the willing volunteers among the people. Praise the Lord!  -Judges 5:7-9 

Many people are intimidated by strong-willed women.  Personally, I am not.  That’s because I have been around such women all of my life.  My mother, sister, and my wife are all wonderfully intelligent and outspoken women who are perfectly willing to speak their minds and move forward toward what they believe to be right.  Deborah of the Old Testament was indeed a kindred spirit with the forthright and strong-willed women of the world.  At a time when God’s people lacked godly leadership and direction, Deborah stepped up and led them to a badly needed victory.  Deborah pointed out that when they rejected the Living God and chose instead to follow new gods that the results were a disaster: war came upon them, their enemies overtook them, and they were without the strength they once possessed when they had been faithful to God.  Deborah’s attitude was not one of arrogance or a “ha ha I told you so” attitude, but rather she was giving God the glory for granting victory over those who had oppressed them.
   
This passage in the book of Judges reminds us of an important principle: When we are faithful to God we are blessed.  But when we turn away from Him we become vulnerable to the spiritual attacks of the devil and the dark forces he hurls at us.  Like the ancient Israelites, when we turn from God our lives are disrupted, our enemies attack, and we lack the ability to defend ourselves against those dark forces.  Once the people came to their senses and turned their hearts back to God they were blessed for doing so.  In a chorus of praise and thanksgiving Deborah sang a loud, “Praise the Lord!”  All glory went to God for the victory He had brought. 
 
I am forced here to contemplate those instances when the circumstances of my life were going the direction I wanted them to go.  My writing ministry was flourishing, the church was thriving, and my family was experiencing showers of God’s blessings.  Then suddenly, without warning, came the attack.  The church faced unanticipated challenges, family problems arose, and my creative energies seemed to be at an all-time low.  I know perfectly well the feeling of crying out to God for deliverance.  I began to feel powerless: “Not a shield or spear was seen.”  There appeared no defense against the dire forces that seemed to be trying to overcome me.  During those difficult times I have discovered a wondrous strength – this is not unique to me, but is available to all who will look to God.  Spiritual strength comes when I trust God, move forward, and praise Him.  Have I shed some tears in those dark times?  Have I prostrated myself before God and asked why did this happen?  Did I feel overwhelmed with it all?  The answer is yes, but the peace – and the spiritual strength, came when I began to praise the Lord for the victory I knew was mine.  This blessed victory came not through me, no not for a moment, but through the Lord.  As Deborah found victory in the Living God, so we find victory in Christ.  As we go, even though the way seems dark and dreary, we must praise God.  He is present, He is able, and He will be with us in our time of need.  Say it with me, just like Deborah: 
 
Praise the Lord!