Thursday, March 11, 2010

His Grace is Sufficient

But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. -II Corinthians 12:9

Let me tell you about the morning that I sat on the edge of my bed with my face in my hands.  After sitting there for several minutes, I began to pray and pour my heart out to God.  My plea went something like this: "Lord, as I look out at the coming day, I am not sure I can do it.  I am exhausted, worried, afraid, and I just don't know how I will get up and do what needs done.  Please, I need your help."  Would it surprise you to find out that this happened only a couple of weeks ago?  Someone might say, "But Brother Dan; you are a pastor, a man of God, a spiritual leader, we all know you as being pretty solid.  How can you be feeling like that?"  If you think that way about me, well then, thanks for the compliment.  However, being a spiritual leader does not insulate me against becoming discouraged.  I wrestle with problems and frustrations just like anyone else - perhaps more so.  Anytime I start to believe that I might somehow be above all that I go back and read the words of Paul the Apostle.  Paul stated in II Corinthians 12 that he had been sent a thorn in his flesh, a messenger from the devil, and after asking God three times to remove it, the thorn remained.  Paul resigned himself to having to rely completely upon the grace of God to help him through - just as the Lord told him.  Oh yes; I am certain that Paul, one of the greatest leaders of the early church, had some moments sitting at his bedside wondering how he could face the trials awaiting him that day.  Just like you and me.

But also I recall another scenario that took place in a Garden called Gethsemane just outside Jerusalem.  On the night He was betrayed, Jesus spent some time in that garden praying, struggling, and pleading that the trial He was about to endure would be taken away (Matthew 26:42).  Jesus knew and understood the struggles we face.  He too wrestled with fear and pain, and as He neared the cross He asked God to take away that burden.  The answer was an emphatic, "No."  Jesus went to the cross and bore our sins, thus paying the penalty for them.  And because of His sacrifice grace is now offered to us; a grace that is full, free, and available to all.  By this wonderful and divine grace we find the strength, power, and resolve to rise up and to forward, even when we are certain we cannot do so.

Now, about that morning recently: I trusted God, got up, and moved forward; not in my power, but in the power of Christ.  As Paul stated, His grace is indeed sufficient.  And that grace is sufficient not for just getting by, but for walking forward in confident victory and spiritual power.

The next time you find yourself at your bedside wondering if you will be able to face the day, claim the promise of Christ.  His grace is sufficient, and His power is made perfect in our weaknesses.  Trust in Him and move forward.