Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Keep a Daily Routine of Prayer and Time in the Word

21This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope.  22It is of the LORD's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not.  23They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness.  24The LORD is my portion, saith my soul; therefore will I hope in him. -Lamentations 3:21-24 (KJV) 

Last month I visited my parents in Ohio.  We had a nice visit and I was also able to get caught up on some badly needed rest.  While I was there I continued to observe my early morning daily devotional time as well as maintaining my daily exercise routine.  That week the temperature soared to near 100 degrees each day and working out early in the morning was definitely a good choice.  Any later in the day and I might have run the risk of a heat stroke. 

One area of our lives from which we should never take a vacation is our devotion to God.  I know it’s a challenge to maintain a daily prayer and Bible reading time while on vacation, yet doing so is vitally important.  We are blessed for keeping our daily prayer time ongoing and this will also enhance time away from the challenges we daily face back home.  When the Bible speaks of morning by morning experiencing the blessings of God this is intended to be taken literally.  We can indeed experience the grace of God each day as we spend sacred time in prayer and devotion to Him. 

Life is always a challenge even in the best of times.  The time we spend with God each day empowers us to stand firm and not fall apart when the troubled times come.  Ephesians 6:10-18 outlines the components of our spiritual armor: The belt of truth, the breastplate of righteousness, feet covered with the gospel, the shield of faith, the helmet of salvation, the sword of the Spirit which is the Word of God, and prayer.  Prayer is the force which holds it all together.  To me prayer is like the leather straps which hold our spiritual armor in place. 

Don’t even think about going out and facing the world without your armor.  We have our weapon for doing battle with temptation, sin, evil, fear, and discouragement.  We have the Word of God, prayer, worship, and fellowship with other believers.  Use these weapons every day, and day-by-day experience the power and grace of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment