Monday, August 22, 2011

Appreciating the Gift of Sight

4Jesus answered and said unto them, Go and shew John again those things which ye do hear and see: 5The blind receive their sight, and the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, and the deaf hear, the dead are raised up, and the poor have the gospel preached to them.  6And blessed is he, whosoever shall not be offended in me. -Matthew 11:4-6 (KJV) 

Isn’t it something how the Lord can get our attention and teach us important lessons about life?  When I was a seminary student in Louisville, Kentucky I would occasionally slip away during a break and visit a doughnut shop near the campus.  One morning I had just ordered my doughnuts and coffee and was getting ready to leave when a group of children, all between 7 to 10 years old, came in to enjoy some doughnuts. 

What was unique about these children was they were all from the school for the blind which was just down the street.  They came in, led by their teacher, and they all were holding hands in a sort of human chain.  What I noticed right away was how happy and talkative they were.  No doubt they were excited about the delicious treats they were about to enjoy.  Each child was given a small bag containing a few doughnuts.  I watched, transfixed, as many of the children opened their bags and lifted them to their faces and breathed in the sweet smell of the doughnuts.  I realized since these children have no sight they make the best use possible of their other senses such as smell and taste.   

After they had gone I left also, but with a new appreciation of my eyesight.  I got in my car and before eating my doughnuts I thanked God for my sight, and I asked God’s forgiveness for having taken it for granted.  But by the grace of God I could either have been born blind or lost my eyesight in some way as those precious children had.  Truly we sometimes take for granted these blessings which we have been given. 

If you are reading this, then stop and be thankful for eyesight which enables you to do so.  And remember those who do not have this gift.  I thank God also for our Savior, Jesus Christ, who made blind eyes see and lame legs walk, and one day in heaven will give us bodies which will never grow old or be infirm in any way. 

Until that day, give thanks and walk forward in faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment