Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Idols we Create

1Bel boweth down, Nebo stoopeth, their idols were upon the beasts, and upon the cattle: your carriages were heavy loaden; they are a burden to the weary beast.  2They stoop, they bow down together; they could not deliver the burden, but themselves are gone into captivity… 9Remember the former things of old: for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me.  -Isaiah 46:1-2, 9 (KJV) 

The other morning I had gotten up around 5:00 AM to have my morning prayer and Bible study time and it must have taken a little longer than usual for my eyes to completely focus.  The passage I intended to read was from Psalm 46, which begins, “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble” (Psalm 46:1).  However, I somehow ended up in Isaiah 46 and as I read I was thinking to myself, “Hmm, this doesn’t look like Psalm 46.” It was then I saw that I was reading from the prophet Isaiah chapter 46.  As I said, it was 5:00 AM and I was still trying to wake up. 

Isn’t it something how God takes our frailties and our weaknesses and uses them for His glory and our benefit?  God will take our mistakes, no matter how large or small, and if we are faithful He will bring us through to a deeper understanding of His Word and how it applies to our lives.  Isaiah 46 is a passage which confronted the idolatry of God’s people the Israelites.  In a twist of bitter irony God reminded the people how even the idols they had bowed down to were also going to be carried away into captivity by the enemies of Israel. 

This is a lesson which is indeed applicable for today.  Countless people continue to look to the things of the world to bring them peace, joy, and fulfillment, yet in the end they are enslaved by them.  Like the ancient Israelites, the idols we make for ourselves and then bow down to will only bring about our downfall.  Alcohol, drugs, lust, and a focus on self will only result in bringing us down and away from the abundant life the Lord desires us to have. 

The good news is Jesus Christ, our Savior, is greater than all our sins and the idols of the world.  He is able to deliver us from them and bring us into the light of His joy and presence.  Resolve today to walk in the light of Jesus Christ.  Trust in the Lord who is willing and able to deliver us from the chains which bind us.  With God’s help the idols which have enslaved us can be torn down.  Trust Christ today and begin living the abundant life in Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment