Saturday, July 10, 2010

A Reflection on 28 Years of Marriage

May your fountain be blessed, and may you rejoice in the wife of your youth. –Proverbs 5:18
  

Twenty-eight years ago today an extremely significant event took place: Andrea and I were married.  This past week I seemed to have a hard time getting my mind around that number.  Twenty-eight years is a long time, and by today’s standards we have truly beat the odds of couples staying together.  This morning I found myself reliving some of the feelings I was experiencing exactly this day all those years ago: excitement, a sense of euphoria, and some nervousness.  We were young, yes, but we had a strong conviction of the Lord’s leading in our lives and we moved forward in the confidence that as the Lord has brought us together He would also keep us together.  God has been faithful and has blessed us in countless ways.

On this day of our anniversary I also consider the words of the above Scripture.  God’s Word challenges men to rejoice in the wife the Lord gave to them in their youth.  I was a young man then; I still am, but I continually take to heart these blessed words and God’s challenge.  For me, this involves being thankful for my wife and holding fast to an enduring love, devotion, and commitment to her.  I am blessed beyond measure to have a wife who is so devoted to God, to me, to our family, and to the Lord’s work.    

Have the past twenty-eight years been easy?  Of course not.  We have gone through some difficult times just as any couple would.  But through it all we have trusted in the Lord and sought His strength and guidance.  We have sought the Lord during the hard times and given thanks for His blessings in the good times.  Such an attitude makes for a balanced life of living daily in God’s grace and mercy.  Through it all we have rejoiced in God continually with grateful hearts. 

The past six months as Andrea has battled cancer have been extremely difficult.  During this time I have reflected often on the vow I made all those years ago about “for better or for worse, and in sickness and in health.”  Even though this has been the “worse” and the “sickness”  part, God has been faithful and has daily strengthened our love and commitment for each other.  I am constantly aware that it could just as easily have been me battling cancer and Andrea being the one to stand alongside and help me through the ordeal. 

I close today’s blog entry with a challenge to all married men reading this: Take to heart God’s challenge to rejoice in the wife the Lord has given you.  Never take her for granted, and love her deeply with a sacrificial and Christ-like devotion. 

Happy anniversary Andrea.  I love you deeply and I thank God for your faith and commitment.  I look forward to many more years together.

No comments:

Post a Comment