Monday, July 5, 2010

Christ our Savior: For Life and for Eternity

My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.  I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand.  -John 10:27, 28

Trusting Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord is a lifetime commitment.  Don’t think that a person can easily walk away from that commitment.  The Lord will not allow us to do that.  Once we are His children we are His children for all time.  Jesus spoke of counting the cost of being His follower.  Give careful consideration before you make that commitment because once you do it’s for life and all eternity.  Luke 14:27-29 Jesus said, “For which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have sufficient to finish it?  Lest haply, after he hath laid the foundation, and is not able to finish it, all that behold it begin to mock him.”

Following Jesus Christ is serious business.  Make sure that we are planning to follow Him forever before we make such a commitment.  Once we belong to Christ He will not let us go.  Don’t expect to easily walk away from a commitment to Jesus Christ.    Imagine if I went to a bank and applied for a sizable loan and the bank loaned me the money.  When I sign on the dotted line I am entering into a contract and a commitment to pay back that money over a period of time.  What would happen if one day I decided that I don’t want to pay the money back.  I’ll just leisurely walk away and forget the whole thing –  because I just can’t take it anymore.  That commitment was just too big.  I’m sure the bank would understand, right?  Wrong.  They keep careful records don’t they?  They would write me letters, call me, and eventually take legal action.  Why?  Because I entered into an agreement and whether I take it seriously or not they will.

How much more our commitment to Jesus Christ.  Saying that I simply can’t do this anymore because that cross is too heavy, or I am just no longer able to serve the Lord any longer is not a sufficient excuse.  Rest assured that the Lord will come after us, He will hound us, and He will not let us go – because we are His children and we belong to Him.  Here’s something else: I am grateful 1000 times over that He will not let me go.  

We are always better off with Christ than without Him, and on His side rather than against Him.  Look to the Lord and trust Him today.  

No comments:

Post a Comment