Saturday, July 3, 2010

The Lord is our Refuge

The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation.  He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior— from violent men you save me. -II Samuel 22:2, 3

I am not a big fan of going to the dentist, but who is, right?  When I go to my dental appointment and the dentist says, “Do you want Novocain?” I always say, “Bring it on; let me have it.” To me, it makes no sense to refuse something that can so greatly ease the pain I would otherwise have suffered.  Although I have heard of people who go to the dentist and flatly refuse to use Novocain.  They’re made of different stuff than me.  The Scriptures says that the Lord offers us refuge, salvation, to not only save us from sin, but also to ease the pain we would otherwise suffer.  There is blessed power in that wonderful spiritual refuge which the Lord offers to all who will place their faith in Jesus Christ. 

The Bible makes numerous references to God being a refuge.  Psalm 9:9 says that the Lord will be a refuge for the oppressed.  Psalm 46:1 says that the Lord is our refuge, a very present help in times of trouble.  Psalm 46.7 says the Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge.  What about this term?  What does it mean and how does it apply to us today and our relationship with the Lord?  The word “refuge” refers to a safe place; a sanctuary, a shelter, a place of asylum.  A refuge is a place where we can go and find comfort and peace.  How appropriate that the Word of God describes the Lord in this way.  

The Lord will be our refuge in those troubled times of life, and we all will face trouble and trials of varying degrees.  In those times people have a blessed option; look to the Lord.  We can place our faith in Jesus Christ and receive the power of God.  We can find that blessed refuge during the struggles of life.  The great mystery of the ages is why people are so intent on refusing God’s offer of salvation and help.  You see, God doesn’t give us salvation and then forget about us, but rather He remains to help and empower us every day and all throughout our lives.  Sadly, people often reject that offer of salvation and refuge.  

Do not reject God's offer of salvation in Jesus Christ.  The Lord will be our help, our Savior, our strength, our hope, and our refuge in difficult times.  There is hope for the troubled soul who is seeking refuge from whatever is causing stress and emotional pain.  

Look to the Lord and let Him be your refuge today.

No comments:

Post a Comment