Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Awesome Wonder of Creation

The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands.  –Psalm 19:1 

I was reading how that this past Sunday a solar eclipse left people, who in parts of the world could witness it, stunned by the majesty and glory of the event.  For a brief period the sun, moon, and planet Earth were all in perfect alignment.  Another solar eclipse of this magnitude will occur in November of 2012 and will be visible from Australia and the South Pacific.  Back in the early 1990’s while living in Kentucky I witnessed an eclipse that took place briefly one afternoon.  I had read about it, but in the midst of a hectic day had forgotten that it was coming.  I had been making a pastoral visit at a hospital in Louisville and was on my way to my car.  I looked up and realized that the sky had taken on an odd sort of haze; it had grown darker, but there were few clouds in the sky.  Then I recalled that an eclipse was taking place.  I stopped by my car and watched as the sky grew dimmer, then gradually the full light of the sun returned. 

Driving home that day I was left once again contemplating the words of the Psalmist, who stated that “The heavens declare the glory of God.”  Today, as the world is still talking about the wonder of Sunday’s eclipse, I consider this truth yet again.  When we look up into the sky we see an ordering of the planets and the stars that truly causes us to glorify God for His creative power.  Trying to get my mind around the vastness of it all nearly gives me a headache.  The only way to comprehend such an expanse of sky and space is to recall that the Lord God Almighty, Creator of heaven and earth, placed it all there and set it in motion. 
 
I always find tremendous blessings in spending time alone with the Lord early in the morning, but I also have been blessed by walking outside on a clear night and looking up into the sky.  The stars and planets all shine forth in a dazzling array of light and intricate constellations.  Many a night I have identified with the humbling thoughts of the ancient Biblical writers who saw that same glory.  They too were overwhelmed at the wonder and glory of God.  This same God, the One True God, who created the universe, cares for me and you.  So great was that love that He sent His only begotten Son that whosoever believes on Him will not perish, but have everlasting life (John 3:16). 

In the vastness of the universe we might think we are insignificant, but God remembered us, and Christ came into the world to save people from sin and redeem us from the hopelessness that so often overtakes us.
     
The next time you look up into the night sky be sure to stop and give God the glory for the wonder of creation and the wonder of His love shown to us through Christ. 

Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment