Monday, January 11, 2010

Never Too Old to Serve the Lord

The Lord had said to Abram, "Leave your country, your people and your father's household and go to the land I will show you.”
-Genesis 12:1

              We should never get to an age where we say; “I have served the Lord long enough; now I will stop serving Him.”  Just because we retire from our jobs doesn’t mean we ever retire from serving God.  The Sr. adult who is retired is doubly blessed because he or she has more time to devote to serving the Lord.  Abraham was 75 years old when God called him.  He didn’t allow his age to in any way stop him from following God’s call in his life.  What if he had said, “Lord, I’m too old.  I’m too settled.  I can’t follow your calling any more.  If you’d called me 20 or 30 years ago maybe, but not now.”  That was not his response at all.  

              I know of some shut-ins who continue to serve and minister for the Lord.  You say, “Well how?”  The answer is they pray every day for me, the church, and many others.  What a wonderful ministry.  God kept his promise to Abraham.  The Lord did make him into a great nation.  People the world over revere him as the father of the Jewish people.  Even the Muslim religion reveres him as the father of Ishmael.  And he did become a blessing to many people.  His commitment to God is a blessing to us; from his lineage came our Savior Jesus Christ.  

              Let us never stop serving the Lord, but rather let us serve Him with joy and gladness throughout life’s journey.  When we reach the end of life, we can say with Paul the Apostle, “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith” (II Timothy 4:7).