Saturday, January 2, 2010

Being Ready to Depart

For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time has come for my departure. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
-II Timothy 4:6, 7

              Paul the Apostle stated here in the Word of God that he was ready to go; meaning that he was ready to go and meet the Lord.  Over the years I recall seeing signs along the road that asked the question “Are you ready to meet the Lord?”  That is actually an extremely relevant question.  If we are unable to answer that question in the affirmative, then we must go back and examine our hearts and make sure that we are ready.  We must be ready because we have no way of knowing when our time will come.  I am not afraid of dying.  I am only concerned as to how my family would cope without me.  I also have plans and goals for the years ahead in my personal life and ministry, but I can honestly say along with Paul that For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain” (Philippians 1:21).   Let that be our attitude at all times.  

              Paul had a belief that he would be martyred for the faith.  He said that he was ready to be offered, and that the time of his departure was at hand.  Those that have died for Christ were in a sense offered up to God.  Followers of Christ have been persecuted in horrible ways down through the ages.  They have been beaten, scourged, crucified, burned, and hanged.  Countless numbers of them went to their deaths with courage that could only come through the power of the Holy Spirit.  We have every reason to believe that when Paul's neck was placed upon the block that he had peace in his heart.  He knew that he was going to meet the Lord and that his trials were passed.

              As followers of Christ, let us be ready and prepared to leave this world and step over into eternity.  Let us be faithful and work with diligence and patient faith until the time comes.  We have no idea when that time will come, for it truly is in God's hands.  God knows the day and the hour when we will depart to be with Him forever. There we will find the ultimate reward of our faith.