Friday, December 25, 2009

And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn. 
                                                                                      -Luke 2:7

I find that even after all these years of celebrating Christmas, there remains a sense of excitement and anticipation every Christmas morning.  I enjoy giving gifts to my family, eating Christmas dinner, and simply being together for the day.  Of course, I'd be lying if I said that I didn't care about getting anything for Christmas.  I cannot help but look forward to receiving some gifts, especially from my wife, Andrea, because she has a knack for getting me some nice and useful presents.  Yes, it's a nice day all the way around.

My hope is that we not feel disappointed over what we did or didn't get for Christmas.  Remember that the old saying about how it's the thought that counts really is true.  Also consider that often times the nicest gifts come in the smallest packages.  I recall a story I heard many years ago about a little girl, five years old, who the day before Christmas brought to her father a present she had obviously wrapper herself.  The small box had been wrapped with several layers of expensive paper and probably two or three roles of tape.  After much pulling and unwrapping, the father was finally able to make his way to the actual box.  He opened it and saw that it was empty.  He looked at his little daughter and said, with some frustration in his voice, "Why did you waste all that expensive paper and tape on an empty box?"  The child then replied, "Oh no, Daddy, it's not empty; it's filled with hugs and kisses just for you."  As he embraced his daughter, the father told her that was the nicest gift he had ever received.

God took the greatest gift the world has ever been given, wrapped it in swaddling clothes, and placed it in a manger.  That gift of the birth of Jesus Christ, would bring light to a world long struggling in darkness.  Jesus' coming brought hope to a world that has desperately needed true and genuine hope.

Let us not forget the real reason we celebrate Christmas.  Christ has come, light has come, and hope is born anew.  Joy to the world, the Lord is come.  

Merry Christmas!


No comments:

Post a Comment