Friday, March 1, 2013

Who Will Remember us When We’re Gone?



There was a little city, and few men within it; and there came a great king against it, and besieged it, and built great bulwarks against it: 15 Now there was found in it a poor wise man, and he by his wisdom delivered the city; yet no man remembered that same poor man. 16 Then said I, Wisdom is better than strength: nevertheless the poor man's wisdom is despised, and his words are not heard.  –Ecclesiastes 9:14-16 (KJV)

Several years ago I was in a meeting with a group of pastors when a pastor friend of mine noticed all the notes, pieces of paper, and other written odds and ends hanging out of my Bible.  “That’s quite a lot of stuff you have in your Bible there,” he said.  “Yes,” I replied, “I tend to keep a few notes tucked away in here.”  “I’d say you do,” he chuckled. “Your Bible looks like a filing cabinet.”  This may sound strange, but from time to time I will pull out some of those notes and read them.  Some are dated, so I know exactly when I wrote them.  The notes consist of thoughts which have come to me that I might use in a sermon, Scripture references, and sermon outlines from sermons I have heard. 

The other morning I came across an order of service from a funeral I preached two years ago for a very dear man in our congregation who had passed away.  As I looked at the small piece of paper I was filled with fond memories of this man.  My thoughts were also mixed with sadness over missing a brother in Christ.  This brought me to reflections on my own mortality.  I would say the odds of all these small scraps of paper surviving long after I am gone are slim at best.  Perhaps some other writings I have done might outlast me, including my books and hopefully more I will write.  However, those little slips of paper probably won’t last.

As followers of Christ, we are called to make a positive impact on the world.  This is how we will ultimately be remembered.  No matter who you are or your station in life, you have unique gifts and talents through which you can positively influence others.  Would you like to impact your world and be remembered in good ways?  If so, then set about living a godly and honorable life.  View each day as a gift from God and an opportunity to make a positive difference.  Solomon wondered if he would be remembered in good ways when he left this world.  He pointed out how often times someone does something good, and yet people do not recall what was done.

Let us be faithful at all times and then trust God with the results.  Live lives devoted to Christ knowing the Lord sees our good deeds and this is enough.  Serving God and doing good for our fellow man carries great blessings.  Doing good for the sake of simply doing what is noble and honorable is always right.  God knows and He will bless us for it.

God bless you today.