Thursday, March 28, 2013

Seeking a Deeper Walk With Christ

Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.  –Matthew 26:41 (KJV)

I can do all things through Christ who strengtheneth me.  –Philippians 4:13 (KJV)

As I type this I reflect on how my faith, outlook on life, and my coping strategies have grown in the last couple of years.  What has made the difference?  For me, the difference is more time devoted each day to prayer and God’s Word.  Up until two years ago I was not what you would describe as a morning person.  I would have daily prayer and time in the Word, but rarely before sunrise.  Over time the Lord began to work in my heart a gentle conviction that this simply was not enough.  I needed to go deeper in my walk with God. 

Two years ago after much prayer and consideration, I undertook a challenge to rise each day at 4:00 AM for 40 days for the sole purpose of prayer and meditation on God’s Word.  This was for me a life changing experience.  I continue the practice of rising each day well before sunrise for time alone with the Lord.  The result is deeper insight into the truths of God’s Word and stronger faith.  If I can do this, so can you.  But enough about me; let’s talk about you.

Allow me to challenge you to seek a new and fresh perspective on the time you spend each day in prayer and meditation on God’s Word.  Countless believers are only scratching the surface in terms of their personal devotion to Christ.  I have read a number of troubling statistics about pastors walking away from the ministry and Christians in general becoming stagnant in their faith.  This would change if followers of Christ would commit themselves anew to prayer and time in the Word.  My friends, do not settle for a hurried prayer and Bible verse here and there.  Instead, seek to go deeper into prayer and the Word.  This will require setting aside a daily time for this purpose and perhaps a complete reorienting of your schedule.  Believe me when I say the rewards are well worth the effort.

God is calling His people to go deeper into their walk with Him.  Not only is faith strengthened, but we also become more calm, relaxed, and patient with others.  Do not be like the man I read about who was pulled over one day by the police on suspicion of driving a stolen car.  The driver was incredulous and asked the officer why in the world he thought the car was stolen.  The officer relied, “Well, I noticed you had a bumper sticker which read, ‘Honk if you love Jesus,’ and another that says, ‘Follow me to Sunday school,’ and I also see you have a Jesus fish attached to your windshield.  Then, when I saw how you yelled at that other driver a few miles back, made an obscene gesture, and then called him a vulgar name I just assumed the car was stolen.”

Let us strive to be positive witnesses for Christ as we walk each day in faith and integrity, shining the light of Jesus to a lost and hurting world.

God bless you today.