Friday, March 22, 2013

God’s Restoring Power

Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.  –II Corinthians 5:17 (KJV)

I suppose every man reaches a point where he gets in his head the idea of restoring an old car.  I confess this hit me a couple of years ago despite the fact I know little about working on cars.  After much thought, I settled on finding a 1974 Plymouth Satellite.  The reason being I had one from the time I was 17 until my early twenties.  It was a beautiful car and I regret I ever sold it.  The problem with finding this particular model car today is if you find one at all they vary between two extremes.  They are either in a junkyard and would take an expert restorer and thousands of dollars to rebuild, or they have already been meticulously restored and cost more than I could ever afford.  Sadly, I abandoned my hope of restoring a 74 Plymouth Satellite.

It’s funny, but often what we desire is right before us.  Since 1998 I drove a Plymouth Breeze, which we had bought brand new that year.  Last year the car blew a head gasket, which for a car approaching 200,000 miles means more spent on repair than the car is worth.  The car has sat in our driveway for months and I was considering sending it to the junkyard.  But then I had an epiphany of sorts.  “This is the car I will restore.” I thought.  So, I have been doing a good amount of reading and also getting advice from a mechanic friend, and if all goes well I just may fix the blown head gasket myself.  This involves practically taking the entire engine apart, but after tinkering with it my confidence is growing.  If I get this problem fixed and the car running, then I am on my way to a full on restoration project, which is most exciting. 

I share this because God is in the business of taking lives which appear to be worthless, beyond repair, and beyond restoration and making them new creations in Him.  People will often believe someone is beyond hope.  We wonder if the person will ever get his or her life together and on the right track.  No doubt you know someone who fits this description.  Let me challenge you to pray relentlessly for this individual.  As long as people live ad breath there is hope they will experience the life changing power of Jesus Christ.  I have personally known people who were in this category of what people refer to as beyond hope.  Yet, through the power of Christ, they turned their lives around and began living lives of vibrant faith and living hope.

Before writing someone off, write his or her name instead on a piece of paper and place it in your Bible.  This will be a way of remembering to pray for the person.  Pray in faith for the person to receive Christ.  Look for opportunities to share the love of Christ with the person.  Keep praying and do not give up, for the Lord will honor His Word and the prayers of His people. 

God bless you today.