Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The Process of Growing in Faith

Come now therefore, and I will send thee unto Pharaoh, that thou mayest bring forth my people the children of Israel out of Egypt. 11 And Moses said unto God, Who am I, that I should go unto Pharaoh, and that I should bring forth the children of Israel out of Egypt? 12 And he said, Certainly I will be with thee… -Exodus 3:10-12 (KJV)

Faith which is being tested is faith that is growing.  Conversely, faith not being tested is faith which is not growing.  Consider in your own life times when your faith was put to the test.  This could have happened as the result of a problem, crisis, sickness, or a challenge which stretched the limits of your abilities.  Your faith had been put to the test and the result was a stretching process.  Anytime faith is stretched the result is spiritual growth.  This process is difficult, yet this is how we grow in faith and spiritual knowledge.  Combine this process with daily prayer and time in God’s Word and we become a spiritual force against the powers of darkness.

Two years ago I began doing volunteer chaplaincy work at a local hospital.  On three different occasions when I was on call I have been summoned to the emergency room to minister to families who had a loved one to pass away.  Two were suicides and one was the result of a car accident.  In each situation I felt very inadequate to the task, yet the presence of the Lord was there in the midst of terrible grief, and God moved and worked despite my feelings of inadequacy.  Many times I have faced challenges that left me asking God if He was certain I was the one He had called to do the job.  Each time the Lord calmed my fears with a gentle whisper of assurance and each time the Lord proved His faithfulness.  A relationship with God is like that; He always demonstrates His faithfulness when we trust in Him.

Moses, a great leader of the Israelites, struggled with God’s call in His life.  He asked a question familiar to many of us; “Who am I that I should go?”  In the face of a new and overwhelming challenge it is easy to begin to believe that maybe the Lord was mistaken when He called us to some task.  When it comes to God’s call upon our lives He does not make mistakes, nor does He choose the wrong person.  If God has called you or me to a specific ministry, then He will provide us with what we need to do the work.  I love how the Lord works in our lives in spite of our own perceived weaknesses and faults. 

Consider what challenges and difficulties you are facing right now.  What sort of possibilities for ministry and personal growth lie before you?  Seek to view these as opportunities for spiritual growth.  Remember when faith is tested the result is growth.  And when we grow in faith we grow in our spiritual power for walking forward in spiritual victory.

Rise up and walk forward in faith.  God is with you, my friend.  Believe and do not doubt God – ever.

God bless you today.