Monday, July 11, 2011

The Power of a Heart Fixed on God

1O God, my heart is fixed; I will sing and give praise, even with my glory.  2Awake, psaltery and harp: I myself will awake early.  3I will praise thee, O LORD, among the people: and I will sing praises unto thee among the nations.  4For thy mercy is great above the heavens: and thy truth reacheth unto the clouds.  -Psalm 108:1-4 (KJV) 

We use the word “heart”  to describe a number of situations and feelings.  The psalmist David said that his heart was fixed on God.  So fixed was his heart that he would sing, praise, and worship God with all of his soul.  This is what David meant regarding praising the Lord with his glory.  He would hold nothing back in his adoration of God.   

Many years ago while serving in another congregation I let a young man in the church sing a solo, and it wasn’t until he began singing I found out he actually couldn’t sing.  It was certainly not the best public performance I have ever heard, yet according to the Word of God if the young man’s heart was fixed on God, and I believe it was, then his praise would be acceptable to God.  It would have been more pleasing to the ear had he been a better singer, yet it was pleasing to God because the heart of the worshipper was fixed on God.   

Fixing our hearts on God accomplishes great purposes in our lives as found in Psalm 108: Praise and worship is awakened within us (v 2).  We become witnesses to the church, the community, and the world (v 3).  We become better aware of the eternal nature of God (vv 4, 5).  We become more aware of our need for God and our dependence upon Him (v 6).  We become more attentive to the voice of God (v 7).  We come to better understand the world and how all which is in it belongs to the Lord (vv 8-9). 

David’s prayer was that God would be exalted above the heavens and His glory would be over the earth.  This is what happens when we fix our hearts on the Lord; He is exalted in our midst and we are blessed.  Let’s not forget how God owns the cattle on a thousand hills (Psalm 50:10).  We don’t have to be spiritual paupers, for we are children of the king.  I recall when I as boy going to Menifee County, Kentucky to visit family.  My Uncle owned a store and my cousin and I would go into the store where we were sometimes allowed to have a soft drink and a pocket full of candy – free of charge.  I thought this was the greatest experience in the world!  You see, I had permission from the owner to partake of his riches.   

To me this is a picture of God’s blessings in our lives.  God owns the whole store –  He wants to give us of its blessings.  We are to open our hearts and receive those blessings. Let us fix our hearts on the Lord, for blessings will surely follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment