Sunday, July 10, 2011

The Key to a Happy Marriage

18 And the LORD God said, “It is not good that man should be alone; I will make him a helper comparable to him.”… 23And Adam said:
      “This is now bone of my bones
      And flesh of my flesh;
      She shall be called Woman,
      Because she was taken out of Man.”  -Genesis 2:18, 23 (NKJV)
 

Andrea and I have been enjoying a wonderful weekend.  We have been celebrating our 29th wedding anniversary all weekend and thanks to some dear friends it was extra special.  It also explains why I am behind on my daily blog posts.  Friday we spent the day on beautiful Watauga Lake, courtesy of our friends who own a houseboat and invited us to celebrate our anniversary with them.  We swam, relaxed, enjoyed wonderful fellowship, and ate delicious food courtesy of our hosts.  
  
The next day, Saturday, we traveled to Gatlinburg, Tennessee for the day where we also met with friends who helped us celebrate our anniversary.  We arrived home late Saturday night and today the Lord blessed us with an exciting and uplifting day of worship.  I am exhausted, yet it’s a good kind of tired. 

The Lord is faithful, and Andrea and I are blessed to have shared 29 years together.  It seems hard to believe that 29 years ago we began our lives together.  We have been through a number of dark valleys together and we have also experienced mountaintop journeys of faith and blessings.  We have seen the Lord work in our lives in ways which can only be explained in light of His provision and grace.  Truly we have been blessed beyond measure. 

Our youngest son, Ben, gave us a card with read, “If someone were to ask me what it takes to have a successful marriage, I’d tell them I haven’t a clue.  But it’s clear you two do.  Congratulations!  I love you!”  Thanks Ben, and we love you too.  And to everyone who helped make this anniversary special, thanks to you as well. 

What has been the key to our staying together and remaining happy all these years?  I will tell you; firm and unwavering faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.  We have built our lives, and our marriage on the solid rock of Christ.  Do this, and as Jesus promised, the house will stand when the storms come.   

Christ is faithful, and we are blessed when we commit our way to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment